So, your friend is getting married – how exciting! It is such an honour to be part of someone’s wedding. It means they love you and that you’re an important part of their life and love story. You’re excited, but admittedly a bit nervous since you’ve never been a bridesmaid before. You’re not really sure what to expect, nor what is expected of you. If this sounds like you, read on!
Here are the main things that are generally expected of bridesmaids:
Pre-wedding day –
- Contribute to the Bridal Shower
- Both financially and with planning
- Contribute to the Bachelorette party
- Generally, the Maid/Matron of Honour is responsible for the Bachelorette party but often the costs are split between the bridal party (or at the least contributions are made).
- Help pick out and purchase your own bridesmaid dress
- Sometimes the bride contributes to the cost of the dress, but it is customary for the bridesmaid to pay for their own dress
- Attend the wedding dress shopping if the bride wants everyone there
- This is a special moment for your friend so try to make it as enjoyable as possible!
- Purchase your accessories
- The bride will normally choose the same accessories for everyone to wear if they’re going for the matching look.
- Shoes will likely need to be purchased as well
- Pay for your hair, nails, and makeup for the day of the wedding.
- Attend and all wedding-related events. These could include:
- Bridal Shower
- Bachelorette Party
- Wedding (obviously!)
- This one is really important. The success of any event is directly related to the participation of the guests. Join in the games, respond when someone giving a speech asks for crown reaction/participation, hit the dance floor – even if you’re the only one out there (it won’t be long until you’re surrounded)!
- The day of the wedding
- Show up to the place at which you’re all getting ready on time with all your necessary items for the whole day
- If you’re making a speech be sure you have a paper copy, and a copy on your phone just in case.
- You’re an important part of the wedding, but a friendly reminder that this day isn’t about you. It is about your friends that are celebrating their love.
Being in a wedding party costs money. There really isn’t a way around that, but it is crucial to keep the lines of communication open between you and your friend, so the expectations are clearly laid out and understood.
Most importantly, HAVE FUN! It is such an exciting time that you want to look back on fondly. Memories are so important, and you’ll have these photos to reminisce for years to come.